There are 5 categories for an unsportsmanlike foul which should be followed; however, this guidance is in relatively plain English. It was felt that in previous seasons not enough Unsportsmanlike Fouls were called at all levels. Some being treated as normal foul calls.
1. Was the action a basketball action, if no then call an unsportsmanlike foul.
2. Was the contact hard or likely to cause injury if yes then unsportsmanlike.
3. In the last 2 minutes any foul before the ball is inbounded is unsportsmanlike.
4. Any contact with head or neck whether intentional or not is unsportsmanlike.
5. If the ethos of fair play and sportsmanship is broken then unsportsmanlike
1. It is the coaches responsibility to support the referee with the calling of the unsportsmanlike foul. A way that this can be done is by ensuring that the rule is rigorously adhered to in all training sessions.
2. It is the coaches responsibility to educate their players bearing in mind their age and emotional ages. It should not be “win at any cost” ethos.
3. It is the coaches (and clubs) responsibility to ensure that parents are educated and support the referee's.
Article 37 (FIBA Wording)
C1 Not a legitimate attempt to play the ball within the spirit and intent of the rules.
C2 Excessive, hard contact caused by a player in an effort to play the ball or an opponent.
C3 An unnecessary contact caused by the defensive player in order to stop the progress of the offensive team in transition. This applies until the offensive player begins the act of shooting.
C4 Contact by the defensive player from behind or laterally on an opponent in an attempt to stop the fast break and there is no defensive player between the offensive player and the opponent’s basket. This applies until the offensive player begins the act of shooting.
C5 Contact by the defensive player on an opponent on the playing court during the last 2 minutes in the last period and in each extra period, when the ball is out of-bounds for a throw-in and still the hands of the official or at the disposal of the player taking the throw-in.
For an Unsportsmanlike Foul, generally, two Free Throws are awarded.
If an UF is called upon the player making a basket, it will be basket awarded 'and one' FT to follow.
The team who takes the free throws will then gain possession at the three-point line extended with a new 14 seconds offence.